Community and Economic Development
New Faith Temple Community Development Corporation Food Pantry
The mission of New Faith Temple Food Pantry is to alleviate hunger in Grand Rapids by soliciting, collecting, and distribution of food on weekly bases. Our services include food box and future nutrition and children's programs. Our services improve the ability of families to care for children and achieve goals of self-sufficiency. New Faith Temple Food Pantry services are a small investment in comparison to cost of ignoring the problem of hunger in the city and the influence it has on a number of health and crime issues.
Community Energy Solutions Program
If you need help with your DTE service for:
~ Shut-offs ~ Service Transfers ~ Home Heating Credits ~ Payment Plan Options ~ Budgeting ~
~ Bill Payment Assistance ~
to schedule an appointment
New Faith Temple/DTE Energy Furnace Tune Up & Refrigerator Program
DTE Energy & New Faith Temple Community Development Corporation offer free furnace test & tune up or furnace replacement. DTE Energy, in partnership with New Faith Temple Community Development Corporation, cares about the members of the community, and is offering a "FREE FURNACE TEST & TUNE UP or FURNACE REPLACEMENT!" These services are FREE of charge and available to DTE Energy customers. This program is valid through December 31, 2012. Free Services provided on a first-come, first served basis and participants are encouraged to apply now, as program funds are limited.
Healthy People (CTG Partnership with Spectrum Health) Healthy Eating & Active Living StrategiesOur Healthy Eating/Active Living Advisory Team is developing strategies for a Community Transformation Implementation Plan that will focus on all Kent County residents. The plan will include policy, environmental and programmatic strategies that will:
• Improve jurisdiction-wide nutrition, physical activity and screen time policies an practices in early child care settings.
• Improve nutrition quality of foods and beverages served or available in schools.
• Increase access to fruits and vegetables in schools.
• Decrease the amount of sodium in foods in schools.
• Reduce access to competitive low nutrition foods and beverages.
• Ensure availability of plain, cold drinking water throughout the day at no cost to students.
• Improve the quality and amount of physical education and physical activity in schools.
• Increase the amount of time students spend in moderate or vigorous physical activity during physical education class.
• Increase the total number of physical activity opportunities implemented at school facilities, including daily recess, intramurals/physical activity clubs, and walk or bicycle to and from school.
• Increase the number of public places (e.g., schools) accessible to the public for physical activity.
Active Living and Healthy Eating innovative strategies.
Increase opportunities for physical activity in communities and workplaces.
Access to facilities and places.
Joint use agreements.
These efforts will support the 2011 Kent County Community Health Needs Assessment strategic priority to “Increase healthy eating by ensuring access to healthy food to promote an environment that supports healthy living for all.”
More information about the Community Transformation Implementation Plan (CTIP) will be shared as the plan is developed.
University Academic Computer Center (St. Augustine)
• Resume Writing & Interview Skills Workshops
• Mock Job Interviews Job Search & Alerts
• Career Exploration G.E.D. Preparation
The Computer Lab, also known as the Education Lab, is located on the Lower Level floor of the New Faith Temple COGIC.
It contains several models of Macintosh and PC computers which can be used for word processing, databases, spreadsheets, and presentations. Students have access to the world wide web and teleconferencing equipment for research and training. The lab is used to provide the training mandated by our desire to increase technology education in order to enhance career improvement. It is open on a limited basis.
My Father’s Closet
My Father’s Closet is a community ministry of service, fellowship and outreach. The “Closet” offers an opportunity for the general public, and especially those having special needs to receive a wide variety of quality, serviceable used merchandise at affordable prices and sometimes free. But, it’s not just about the stuff! The also initiates and/or facilitates connections with social intergenerational benefits of community while sharing your time and talents. Summer programming for kids, community partnership ventures, monetary gifts and in-kind donations, and volunteers are accepted.
New Faith Temple/DTE Energy/Thaw Partnership THAW services a specific population but there are times when an extreme hardship is placed on a individual or family. Contact your utility provider to enroll on a payment plan. The utility company is there to help but you must take the first step. Below are a list of contact numbers for our partnering utility companies:
•DTE Energy (1.800.477.4747)
•Consumers Energy (1.800.477.5050)
New Affordable Housing Development
For more information
1701 Kalamazoo Avenue SE, Grand Rapids, MI 49507
Phone: (616) 245-6378
Office Hours M-W-F 11:00 AM - 2:00 PM